The Ottawa National Diving Club was awarded the Ontario Spring Provincials back in October of 2017. We had also found out that this competition was going to be the trials for an international competition to be held in Dresden Germany at the end of April of 2018. From that point forward it was all hands on deck to make this competition one to remember!
Last week we had the honour of hosting over 160 athletes and over 50 coaches and judges from around the country right here in Ottawa! Teams began to arrive as early as Sunday night to begin preparations for the biggest junior competition in Canada for the 17/18 competitive season. The ONDC pulled all the stops to make everyone at this competition as happy as could be. And boy did we have a lot to do! Everything from changing diving boards all around the pool to preparing special meals for our coaches/judges and treating everyone to ice cream during their stay in Ottawa and everything in between.
The competition ran smooth as silk and our six divers from the ONDC finished with some great results here at home! We earned 4 new national qualifying scores from our athletes, new personal bests and podium finishes! A few highlights were Catherine Boyer’s SILVER MEDAL on 1m and platform with a new PB. Kathryn Grant competing her new 305c on 10m for the first time and securing the BRONZE MEDAL in the Open 3m category. Talia competing her new 205c on 7m for the first time. Audree securing her first national score of the season on tower! Emmanuelle overcoming her illness that led to a BRONZE MEDAL finish on 1m with another national qualifying score and Charlee-Mae securing her first national qualifying score on tower!
Over 3 days of practice and 5 days of competition there are so many people I wish to thank for making this event a success for the ONDC let alone even possible in the first place:
1) First off thank you to all of our sponsors of the event. You generosity is greatly appreciated and was warmly received.
2) Second a HUGE thank you to all our volunteers all weekend. The amount of hours put into the preparation and execution of the event was enormous and you all rose to the task and we are so thankful to have all of you!
3) A special thank you to Pam Julian and Samantha Fung for their long hours and hard work in the office to make this event a success.
4) To Eileen Murphy and Strenge Concepts for all their hard work on all the artwork and poster designs for the competition. They came out beautifully and we received numerous compliments on them!
5) Finally a big thank you to all who attended from around the country. We hope your stay in Ottawa was one to remember!
Congratulations to all the athletes and coaches who achieved their goals over the week and a big congratulations to those named to Team Canada for the Dresden competition in April. We will all be cheering loud for you!